Saturday, July 07, 2012

I'm in Poker Heaven


My first few days here in Vegas I've had moderate success.  I've been loving the tournaments here, and everyday I'm in a new one.  I've been playing almost exclusively at the Pallazzo/Venetian.  My second day in I final tabled a $200 deep stack with a 250 player field.  I unfortunately finished in ninth place, profiting a modest $700.  With the top prize being $10k, finishing 9th felt much like a loss.  Nevertheless it was a great confidence booster.

In general the play here is awful.  This was a great benefit during the aforementioned tournament.  I felt all I had to do was hit a big hand and call all the way.  The most notable play was without question the worst I've seen at any game for any level.

I had an above average stake at about 85k in chips when the blinds were 1500/3000.  The live player to my left was steaming when I woke up with pocket queens in a blind vs blind situation.  I just had this player covered in chips and was almost positive he would raise if I limp.  Sure enough, he makes a huge over bet of 20k.  I shove all in and and he snapped called with about 55k behind as though he had aces.  I, as well as the table, was shocked when he flipped up Queen-Eight off-suit.  That hand did not fair too well against my pocket queens.  I have no clue what he was thinking, but I was fine taking in the nice pot.  This was a great help for me on my way to the final.

As far as the cash games go, I killed the $1-$2 pot limit omaha game my third night against the drunks, only to give it back the next afternoon at the same game.  The swings in PLO can be a bit tough to swallow.

I also got to play some mixed games for my first time live.  I played a little $8-$16 H.O.R.S.E. on my third night.  I made a small profit, but had a very fun time.  Limit game players tend to be a little less serious, and joking around is a lot more commonplace.  I look forward to enjoying myself at more mixed games when I have time.  I hope to play some PLO hi/lo when I find a game.

The variety in games is a nice departure from what I'm used to.  In Toronto it's almost exclusively no limit hold'em with the occasional omaha game.

The horrible quality of play did get me in a little trouble yesterday.  I was busted early in the same $200 dollar tournament that I final tabled.  I had a little over my 10k starting stack with the blinds at 100/200 when I woke up with aces in the small blind.  The under the gun player raised to $600 and there were four callers behind me.  I made a healthy raise to $2600.  The raiser folded, as did two others.  The player in the cutoff spot decided to call.  To just call a raise in that position then call a re-raise typically means an exceptionally weak hand.

The board came 8-7-3 rainbow.  I checked hoping he would bet.  I also wanted to look weaker than I was.  He checked.  The turn was a jack.  Still loving my hand I bet another $3200.  The player called.  Another harmless looking three came on the river and I put in my remaining $4500 chips.  The player called then flipped up 2-3 offsuit.  WOW! I was not expecting that.  I was disappointed to be knocked out so early, especially after my very bad PLO session.  I did not get discouraged though: this is the kind of play you see in Vegas, and in the long run this kind of play will make me a lot of money.

After a very bad day I was drained from the heat and the walking (next time I'll get a hotel closer to the strip).  A 10-15 minute walk is much longer in 40+ degree heat.  So I called it an early night.

I'm about to go to the Rio where the WSOP is held.  There is a juicy 2 p.m. deep stack tournament.  A $235 buy-in with over a thousand players.  I hope to run deep.  With a top prize of over $50k, this would be a good time to run good.

No comments:

Post a Comment